Sad to see UIDE/XIDE switching to closed-source, undermining my interest in
FreeDOS for anything beyond low-level access to hardware and spreadsheets with
Quattro Pro 5 for DOS (already migrating to Gnumeric).

This is the first I've heard about any feud between Rugxulo and Jack Ellis.  I
don't intend to get involved in any family feuds!

I was never able to read a CD or DVD on new computer, SATA drive; all I'd get
was the title, but file directory never showed.

I find it easier to build and install FreeBSD and NetBSD from source than
install FreeDOS 1.1, and much more functional.  I still haven't configured
network access with FreeDOS, since newer Ethernet chips don't include DOS
packet drivers.

If something like UIDE/XIDE were switched to closed-source in Linux, BSD or
Haiku, there'd be many other developers to fill in the gap, and more sense of
community.

I might also say that if Net-Tamer (http://www.nettamer.net/tamer.html) were
released to open-source instead of languishing with no further update since
1999, there might have been potential for development and improvement, but now
figures to be many years too late considering other open-source browsers for
Linux/Unix so much further developed.

Switching from MBR partitioning to GPT means I can install FreeDOS only to USB
stick, and pretty much prevents anything serious with ReactOS.

Tom