Hi Thomas,

> Sad to see UIDE/XIDE switching to closed-source, undermining my
> interest in FreeDOS for anything beyond low-level access to hardware
> and spreadsheets with Quattro Pro 5 for DOS (already migrating to
> Gnumeric).
>
> This is the first I've heard about any feud between Rugxulo and Jack
> Ellis.  I don't intend to get involved in any family feuds!

Well Jack usually has clear plans and opinions, even if they
clash with strong wrong-doers: E.g. Sourceforge dropping most
SSL compatibility with older browsers - instead of grudgingly
using another browser, he rather avoids SF. And at some point,
Rugxulo got fed up with discussions. And judging by Rugxulo's
posts on this list and on BTTR, this has somewhat escalated.
However, both men are still helpful for uninvolved people...

> I was never able to read a CD or DVD on new computer, SATA drive;
> all I'd get was the title, but file directory never showed.

If you got the title but no content, maybe they were UDF rather
than ISO9660 formatted. Normal MSCDEX style drivers such as our
SHSUCDX do not support that, but I guess there are experimental
drivers for UDF content :-) Note that this is UIDE-unrelated.

> If something like UIDE/XIDE were switched to closed-source in Linux,
> BSD or Haiku, there'd be many other developers to fill in the gap

... or of course just start with an older still open source UIDE
and help by maintaining your own open source branch. This will be
lower quality than XIDE, but if you need open source, XIDE might
not be an option for you.

> I might also say that if Net-Tamer
> (http://www.nettamer.net/tamer.html) were released to open-source
> instead of languishing with no further update since 1999, there might
> have been potential for development and improvement...

Possible. Luckily there are a few more modern open source browsers
which have been ported to DOS now :-)

> Switching from MBR partitioning to GPT means I can install FreeDOS
> only to USB stick, and pretty much prevents anything serious with
> ReactOS.

In particular for ReactOS, I would say that adding GPT support is
supposed to be no real problem. Even for DOS I am optimistic. But
maybe ReactOS considers itself to be unstable and therefore does
deliberately avoid being too "brave" in harddisk access? It might
be designed more for being tested and less for taking the risky (?)
step of interacting with your other operating systems & user data.

Regards, Eric