Hi,

I am using PCNET in Qemu. I start the VM with whis command:

qemu-system-i386 -m 128 -hda 'qemu_freedos.img' -net nic,model=pcnet
-net user,hostfwd=tcp::5554-:21 -localtime -boot c

Among others I have these two lines in my "autoexec.bat" (pcntpk
without LH):

pcntpk INT=0x60
dhcp

I use port forwarding with "hostfwd=tcp::5554-:21" to build a FTP
connection between guest and host. If the FTP connection wit ftpsrv is
established I can ftp'ing into the FreeDOS box from my Linux host with:

$ ftp localhost 5554

Network and Qemu is a little bit tricky. To show this, I want to quote
the QEMU Emulator User Documentation:

"The QEMU VM behaves as if it was behind a firewall which blocks all
incoming connections. You can use a DHCP client to automatically
configure the network in the QEMU VM. The DHCP server assign addresses
to the hosts starting from 10.0.2.15.

In order to check that the user mode network is working, you can ping
the address 10.0.2.2 and verify that you got an address in the range
10.0.2.x from the QEMU virtual DHCP server.

Note that ping is not supported reliably to the internet as it would
require root privileges. It means you can only ping the local router
(10.0.2.2)."

http://wiki.qemu.org/download/qemu-doc.html

Hope that helps.

BTW: I think the installation of FreeDOS with network
support in VirtualBox is easier:

http://freedos.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/VirtualBox

Best regards
Christian