>> On Nov 7, 2017, at 12:20 PM, Robert Riebisch <r...@bttr-software.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jerome,
>>
>> I gave a lot of thought to the issue of “Installed” and “required” free
>> space for the batch based FDI in FreeDOS 1.2. With the amount of additional
>> overhead and complexity it would require, I decided it was not worth the
>> effort at present.
>>
>> Base size,
>> Base + sources size,
>> Full size,
>> Full+ sources size,
>> All package sizes (custom advanced mode)
>> All packages + sources sizes,
>
> Start with Base.

Can’t. If user is doing a custom install in advanced mode, not all of base may
be included.

>> Temp storage requirements to expand largest installing package,
>
> Difficult.
>
>> Temp storage for custom install lists,
>> Temp storage for custom autoexec and config file creation,
>
> Shouldn't take much.

Yes. But, everything counts.

>> Size needed for copy style backup,
>> Size needed for advanced zip backup,
>
> Means what?

Space required for the two different types of backups that FDI can create of a

No backup.
Simple xcopy to backup directory.
Archive Zip of prior install.

>> Size needed for MBR backup,
>> Size needed for config file backup,
>
> Shouldn't take much.

Correct, but if your going to calculate stuff, should be accurate.

>> Size of packages to be removed and upgraded,
>
> It's just "-", not "+" then. ;-)

Nope,

Prior package sizes are unknown. Would need to iterate through their file list
and calculate how muck will be removed.

Let’s not forget about slack space either.

A 52byte file may use 512bytes on disk. So, just adding sizes is no good.

>> a couple other minor things.
>>
>> Basically, all of these would all need to be known and/or calculated before
>> the installer could say “43.5mb of packages to install” requiring 87.2mb of
>> free space.
>
> Of course, uncompressed ZIP length should be calculated during ISO build
> at the latest, but not at runtime of the installer.

They already are. And are embedded in data files on the install Media.
FDIMPLES uses that data in stand-alone mode to give a user a rough estimate of
the installed size of a package.