On 10/20/2022 9:17 PM, dmccunney wrote:
I recall Qedit, and used it back in the day, though it was never my
primary editor.

It got renamed from Qedit to TSE due to a trademark issue.  Qedit author Sammy
Mitchell was unaware there was another editor called WEDIT, provided
by Hewlett-Packard for their midrange multi-user systems line.  Oops!
Doesn't make much sense!? Why would he rename QEDIT if there was a WEDIT. There were (and still are) tons of different xEDIT programs out there. I only remember that when he released the first  version of SemEdit, he stressed that it was a complete rewrite. I had used (and registered) QEDIT for years as my go-to editor for large files on DOS (beside using for quite a while SEE from DeSmet C) and I remember that there were little, not so subtle changes to QEdit that I stopped using it....
I haven't looked at the Windows and Linux versions that aer now
freeware, nor have I had a chance to look at the DOS offering,  But I
was in email contact with Sammy back when he was developing the
Windows and Linux versions.  I don't think they have much in common
with the DOS product.
I actually downloaded the Windows version yesterday, just to look at it, and it is pretty much a text based console application, which doesn't make it very attractive to use under Windows. I guess the Linux version just looks and works the same...
  Among other things, Sammy was creating a new
language that could be used to write editors in.  I very much doubt
what was done in the Semware Editor for Windows and Linux is
*possible* under DOS.  It requires memory, a multitasking OS, and a
more advanced file system than DOS can offer,
That SAL macro language existed already the DOS versions and it just looks to me as if the Windows version is just the DOS version with a Windows based widget set to make it work better as a Windows app, but it is definitely NOT a proper Windows GUI application...

I have to drop Sammy a note, but I suspect he made the Semware Editor
freeware because it was no longer a viable commercial product,
Competition in that area is brutal.  There are various commercial
editors for tjhings like Java development still out there, but the
most popular current general purpose programmers are Microsoft's
commercial Visual Studio product, and their free and open source
Visual Studio Code product, based on the Electron framework first
introduced for Github's Atom editor.  Github has since sunsetted the
Atom project, and it will see no further development. VSC ate it for
lunch.
I have both Visual Studio Community Edition and Visual Studio Code installed, but only because I needed it for some specific projects in Go and to take a look at Rust. I hate this with a passion, it is just a POS if you have ever worked with any of the Borland IDEs, or with Delphi/Lazarus. Even when I have to do work in C (not C++ or C#,  which I also avoid like the plague where and whenever I can), I prefer to use Pelle's C instead... Those are just a fraction of the size of that "Visual" carp too, Visual Studio CE with only MSC installed comes in at about 8GB!
If you are running DOS, the new freeware TSE Pro 2.5 produuct may be a
very nice upgrade oer what ou have, and I'm pleased to see it offered,

Don't have much use for a  large file size editor in DOS anymore, and that was the only reason why I used it in the "days of old", much rather use PSPad under Windows for that purpose nowadays instead ...

Ralf