Pate Mark-marpate1 wrote:

Hi Alexander,

Presumably you'll be moving to the 7609?

Not in this life, i think :-) We use 7206VXRs with CISCO PDSN 12.2(8)ZB8.

My understanding is that FreeRadius uses the NAS-Port-ID as an increment to a base IP address to provide the client IP address. The Cisco GGSN has a constant NAS-Port-ID, so it would make sense that when you raise this with Cisco, they confirm that the value will usable by FreeRadius (i.e. not constant).

I used only NAS-Port&NAS-IP-Address with radclient and it seem enough to allocate an IP from the pool:

Sending Access-Request of id 69 to 127.0.0.1:1812
        User-Name = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
        User-Password = "xxxxxx"
        Calling-Station-Id = "250097000002749"
        Framed-Protocol = PPP
        Service-Type = Framed-User
        NAS-IP-Address = 212.119.97.86
        NAS-Port = 55
rad_recv: Access-Accept packet from host 127.0.0.1:1812, id=69, length=44
        Service-Type = Framed-User
        Framed-Protocol = PPP
        Framed-IP-Address = 212.119.124.33
        Framed-IP-Netmask = 255.255.255.255

Out of interest, it looks like Cisco CAR can cope with a constant IP address as it uses the accounting ID against used IP addresses. On accounting stop, the IP is released back to the pool. Is this possible with freeradius?

Yes. When freeradius receives Stop with the same NAS-Port&NAS-IP-Address the IP is released back. NAS-Port-Id is also missing in our environment :-)))

The alternative, I guess, is to use DHCP on the PDSN and have the IP allocated externally to the radius request :(

Sorry, I know no more....

Thanks, Mark

- List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

-- SY, Alexander