actually LTE doesnt quite work that way

LTE used OFDM on uplink and downlink.

The entire operator's LTE spectrum is divided up into 15kHz subchannels which are generated/decoded in the usual OFDM FFT manner.

User payload is transmitted using 'resource blocks' (RB), which I think are 12 carriers wide, or 12 * 15  = 180kHz minimum (I think). These 12 carriers that make up a RB  are contiguous in the uplink spectrum.

Users are allocated on uplink a sequence of time slots (TS) and RB sequences. The denser the sequences, the more uplink bandwidth. A user may be allocated multiple simultaneous RBs per TS.

The downlink may be configured different ways, but generally one full download ensemble.

The uplink OFDM user terminals also have two options of spectral purity- poor and clean essentially, which permits lower PA power consumptino at the expense of adjacent channel skirt blowout whch may be acceptable in some low usage, sparse utilization conditions , the base station decides.