It does seem that we've come to some agreement on the meaning of the
word.  It seems basically centered around Nick's original usage: faith
is a kind of short circuit for justification.  Steve's "faith" only
short circuits a little bit, whereas his "Faith" short circuits a lot.
The same could be said of Russ'.

We could think of this in terms of compressibility where faith is less
compressible than Faith.

But I think Robert's point is somehow crucial because it gets at what I
want.  The idea that faith implies something about acting in the face of
uncertainty.

When we take something on [F|f]aith, we're implying that the truth or
falsity of the thing we're taking on [f|F]aith has an impact on the
outcome, whereas a mere belief can have no impact on outcome.  This
includes ends justified indeterminates like "I'll kill you because I
have faith that God wants me to kill you."  Even though we may never
determine the truth or falsity of their article of faith, if that person
later came to believe the negation, guilt or repentance is the different
consequence.

This sounds like the beginning of a measure we might use to distinguish
faith from other types of thoughts.  Some thoughts might be "no-ops"
whereas some have an effect.  Even if we factor out all the
subjectivity, intention, consciousness hoo-ha, we might be able to say
something like:  incompressible processes (all shortcuts that can be
taken have been taken -- i.e. Faith) are less expressive (or flexible,
or adaptable) than compressible processes.  This might match up with
other measures being used in neuroscience and/or psychology.

We might also be able to apply some graph theory in the sense that some
actions in a causal network will be more like cut points than others.
If a graph has high connectivity, the uncertainty surrounding any given
action matters much less than that surrounding something on the critical
path.  I know that, personally, I'd be much more likely to invoke and
talk about "faith" when considering a cut-point action as opposed to one
that had plenty of low-hanging fruit alternatives.

--
glen