Glen,
The style matters. Oddly quite a bit. "Liberal elitism" is snobbish, aloof,
and patronizing. Note, it is not the way in which they are "elite", but the
"elitism" that rankles the most. Trump's
financial-elite bull-in-a-china-shop schtick looks and feels very
different, and there are many people who would much rather deal with it.
Bill Clinton was a friggin' Rhodes scholar, but connected with everyday
Americans, and wasn't, until he sought to get so aggressively dynastic, at
risk of the "liberal elite" label. I've not heard it leveled at Carter
either. On the other hand, Gore and Kerry reeked of it, and that was part
of their problem.

As the article says towards the end:
" “High information” people ignore evidence if it conflicts with their
preferred narrative *all the time.* And while it may be naïve for voters to
believe the promises of Trump and the Brexit campaigners — it has also been
profoundly naïve for the cosmopolitan classes to believe that years of
forced internationalism and forced political correctness were never going
to end with a large scale backlash."

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician
U.S. Marine Corps