It still seems clear to me that the problem lies in the (overzealous)
attribution [*] of systemic properties based on flimsy or nonexistent patterns
in the collection of individuals.  The (false) attribution of consensus is
similar to that of a political mandate after winning an election.  This is one
reason the US electoral college isn't a bad idea (as far as ideas absent
practicalities go).  It's equally silly to hook the fate of a country, or the
world, on a tiny symmetry break like winning the popular vote by 0.000001%

What we need are _multiple_, heterogeneous, ways of deriving the policies and
actions of the whole from its parts.  Such ways have to mimic biology (I think)
in being polyphenic and robust, multiple phenotypes from the same genotype(s)
and one phenotype from multiple genotypes, respectively.  Regardless (unlike
typical proportional representation systems), the ways should be based on data
taken (via methodologically well-founded measures) from the world, not
arbitrarily justificationist ideas farted out by our minds.

Such a science-based politics would better match the cognitive referent of
"democracy" in most people, I think.

[*] B.C.Smith called this "premature registration" or "inscription error", a
common and insidious fallacy typical to simulation efforts ... which is the
only reason I know about it. 8^)

--
␦glen?