On Fri, 9 Feb 2018, riccardo.gu...@gmail.com wrote:
 Well,  by definition, NO user will ever manually compile a source code.
Well, I never run any program which I have not compiled myself. I use Gentoo Linux, by the way. Call it paranoia, but I don't trust binaries whic can contain anything, and I cannot know what they really do.

The fricas binaries I downloaded worked, but an average user has to figure out how to proceeed with the tar file.
????????
I think it's one of the first things any Linux user learns.

--- Texmacs has a built-in fricas plug-ins. Problem here: texmacs is kicked out of debian because of dependency on guile.
TeXmacs and its FriCAS interface work fine (though I prefer the ascii repl - TeXmacs is slow on long formulas). It's trivial to compile guile-1.8.x and TeXmacs-1.99.6.

--- The project fricas_jupyter (with binaries) looked interesting but one is required to have binaries compiled with SBCL 1.2.x . Unfortunately the official released binaries are made with sbcl 1.1.1 so I dropped this solution.
WHAT? Both versions are ancient. The current sbcl is 1.4.4, and I use it everywhere. When a new sbcl appears, I compile it, and re-compile FriCAS and maxima.

Andrey