Dear Andrey,

Thanks for your reply. Below some additional explanations on my post.

On 2/10/18 7:59:24 AM CET Andrey G. Grozin <a.g.gro...@inp.nsk.su> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Feb 2018, riccardo.gu...@gmail.com wrote:
> >  Well,  by definition, NO user will ever manually compile a source code.
> Well, I never run any program which I have not compiled myself. I use
> Gentoo Linux, by the way. Call it paranoia, but I don't trust binaries
> whic can contain anything, and I cannot know what they really do.

Andrey, I can imagine what you do with FriCAS in your multi-loop calculations,
and I would class you in the "power-user" category not in the definition of
"average simple user" I gave in the post.

I want  to pinpoint that in my post by "manually" I meant:
Read the list of dependencies and their versions, compare with what you have.
For all needed tarballs: cd somewhere; wget the-package && tar -x && make &&
make install"
Repeat this every time a new version comes out and for every laptop/desktop you
have.

That said, the"hypotethic average user" I described has nothing against
compiling from the sources if this can done be done easily, painlessly, and
flawlessly as it is done in Gentoo. I discover happily that there is a FriCAS
package in Portage, so a simple "emerge" will do the first install job and one
"emerge -e system && emerge -e world" from time to time will keep upgraded the
whole status. My "average user" would accept that.

> > The fricas binaries I downloaded worked, but an average user has to
> > figure out how to proceeed with the tar file.
> ????????
> I think it's one of the first things any Linux user learns.

Well, Linux today is much easier than Linux 20 years ago, but I admit that I've
exaggerated a little...

In my defense I cite the excellent Gentoo handbook: they never hesitate to
explicitly write down step by step instructions. Here they do explain how to
untar a package:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Stage#Unpacking_the_stage_tarball

> > --- Texmacs has a built-in fricas plug-ins. Problem here: texmacs is
> > kicked out of debian because of dependency on guile.
> TeXmacs and its FriCAS interface work fine (though I prefer the ascii
> repl - TeXmacs is slow on long formulas). It's trivial to compile
> guile-1.8.x and TeXmacs-1.99.6.

Of course I can do that, just I do not know if my "hypothetic user" would find
that trivial....

Just for the record, here are the links that explain in detail why texmacs has
no package in debian
(removed from testing on 2013-10-15, removed from experimental on 2016-05-25 )
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/texmacs

> >  --- The project   fricas_jupyter (with binaries) looked interesting but
> > one is required to have binaries compiled with SBCL 1.2.x .
> > Unfortunately the official released binaries are made with sbcl 1.1.1
> > so I dropped this solution.
> WHAT? Both versions are ancient. The current sbcl is 1.4.4, and I use it
> everywhere. When a new sbcl appears, I compile it, and re-compile FriCAS
> and maxima.

I'm innocent here: protest with the person who compiled FriCAS 1.3.2 and
released the binaries...

Best
ric