Riccardo Guida wrote:

> On 2/10/18 7:59:24 AM CET Andrey G. Grozin <a.g.gro...@inp.nsk.su> wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 Feb 2018, riccardo.gu...@gmail.com wrote:
> > >  --- The project   fricas_jupyter (with binaries) looked interesting but
> > > one is required to have binaries compiled with SBCL 1.2.x .
> > > Unfortunately the official released binaries are made with sbcl 1.1.1
> > > so I dropped this solution.
> > WHAT? Both versions are ancient. The current sbcl is 1.4.4, and I use it
> > everywhere. When a new sbcl appears, I compile it, and re-compile FriCAS
> > and maxima.
>
> I'm innocent here: protest with the person who compiled FriCAS 1.3.2 and
> released the binaries...

I am "guilty" here.  Using sbcl 1.1.1 is deliberate.  Namely, the
tarball is intended to work on wide spectum of Linux system
and AFAIK it indeed works.  This is not entirely trivial things:
it is easy to create binary that fails to work on some system
due to incompatibilities or missing system dependencies.
To avoid such problems it helps to use _oldest_ version of
base software which has needed functionality and avoids
major bugs.

Concerning compatiblity with fricas_jupyter: sbcl does not support
using compiled code with different binary then the one which
created it.  In priciple even recompiling the same version
may break binary compatiblity.  So it is all or nothing thing:
either you recomplie or use the whole bundle.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch