I would like to pose a question for the list to which I truly have no answer
and don't even know if there is an answer. There are a number of ways that
the question can be posed; the question is this:

Do you think a capitalist economic system allows for the possiblity of a
humane society?

Is it possible to put controls on capitalism so that it can still flourish
and allow for a humane society?

Is there something inherent in capitalism that makes it antithetical to a
humane society?

When I speak of a humane society I am talking about a society in which the
group and the individual work together for the benefit of both; of a society
in which its material resources are used to support and encourage the full
and best possible development of all individuals; a society in which all
babies born are supported physically, emotionally, psychologically  and
surrounded by the best there is from all civilizations in order to stimulate
her/his fullest development.

I could go on and on because this is one of my favorite subjects, but I'll
stop for the moment because I very much want to hear what you have to say.

Selma