Hi Selma,

I'm sure you've noticed:
for all the studies done from year to year on this topic, and for all of the
great
strides of competing women in a man's workplace, with the exception of few
examples, the progress with respect to real change for the good of humankind
has a tendency to be undone rather rapidly for the sake of economy and
control.
It is true of the good work of both men and women.

Studies done on women in the workplace and their ability to compete are not
truly representative, are selective like most data, and though they
may cite the opinions of a few executive females, are usually conducted from
the P.O.V. of women who hope to manipulate the system that perpetuates the
illusion of being in control. Their achievements do little to challenge the
low value
placed on women, and as you mention in a later post, would not come from
the mind of a woman who understands or could initiate real change.

Situations in which change has been initiated and maintained have been
examples
of creativity becoming the tool of resistance, rather than one of
perpetuating an
old and dysfunctional patriarchal model in which one vainly hopes to build
on
something devised out of inequalities.

One can plainly see that big business is now the demi-god of school systems,
despite the predominance of women therein, and this is mostly because
corporate
men are in charge not only of administration in top positions, but more
particularly
of allocation of funding. Funding must fall in line with the corporate ideal
of
perpetuating what helps the nation to grow--and arts, they erroneously
think,
does not contribute enough to an economy.

Another aspect, and one that underlies this hasty almost global negation
of the arts, is that creativity itself is an act of resistance that breaks
through
conformity. It is greatly feared for its genuine ability to make lasting
change,
that will topple any unreal power-over that patriarchy has mis-created.

Since the mishandling and abuse of the 9-11 incident by BushCo and the
neocons, the tool of fear--in which creativity has such limited opportunity
to flourish the way that it is meant to--has unfortunately been directly and
indirectly applied to every aspect of our lives, locally and globally. This
has
resulted in a thousand steps backwards for humanity. Real social issues will
now be buried in favor of defending the wealth of the nation, and ultimately
the wealth of very few. The controls now imposed upon the U.S. are at the
expense of its infrastructure. Other nations, all of whom are run by similar
patriarchal systems that negate creativity and suppress expression, have
taken advantage of the scapegoat threat which helps the masses to forget
about their inability to change inequities and injustices, and have
initiated
homeland security measures of their own. These measures will do little to
ferret out terrorism, but will do lots to augment power-over, and so much
more for the pockets and portfolios of the those who like to invest in fear-
related industries.

I believe I've said it before on this list: the chances of anyone ever being
within a mile of a terrorist are so remote--you are far more likely to be
attacked by industrial pollution, the pharmaceutical arsenal, a nuclear
power station, the local rapist, your spouse, a drunk driver, or some
top U.S. military officials who lose it and push the wrong buttons from
within the largest and scariest panoply of weapons of mass destruction
ever invented by patriarchy. The latter also applies to my guess that it was
within the U.S. military/airforce command that 9-11 was born or allowed
to transpire as the excuse for egregious military spending and unilateral
action.

Such is the "control" and chaos out of which most men make inference to
women's inability to compete. The playing field has little relevance to the
life
around which people should be working. It is misguidedly focused upon money
instead of humanity and the pursuit of education and civilization. Changing
the
arena would mean that most men do not get voted into positions of authority
by
the women who are the majority, and then perhaps, we can take the time
to examine why it is that once most men assume the reins of control, they
seriously abuse it, and then help them to grow out of it.

I doubt the neocons looked to the future in this respect, by making
elections subject to cancellation for the good of the nation, as might occur
if it appears that Bush will lose in 2004. If re-elected,  I suspect that
they will
bring about the ultimate threat--ALIEN INVASION--a most lucrative
enterprise, that will keep the media going 24/7, perpetuate war as the
highest
pursuit possible, and refill the pockets of the military industry magnates.
Women will be threatened by alien impregnation or having to do laundry for
an
invading hyper-freighter. Superior U.S. technology will place the imperial
crown on Bush's brave little head, and our global fear will be replete.

If the nation could believe that it took over an hour to scramble defence
jets in response to a terrorist threat like 9-11, and further believe
everything
else that Bush threw at them around this event, then it is appositely primed
for the alien invasion hoax that will unite both East and West. At this
point
Bush will probably announce that he does indeed talk to God, Who favours
America of course. Then Bush will be written about in the new neocon
bible, like all the other mostly male prophets who heard the voice of a
vengeful and punishing god.

Yes, I've heard of the exceptions, like Joan of Arc, the Amazons, the
rare exceptions who came out of matriarchies. Spare me, you men on the
list who will be quick to jump in with your remarks about abusive women,
increasing numbers in the military, and other power positions, etc.
Patriarchy has successfully screwed up both sexes, and the offspring of
both.
Take an honest look at who is in power, world-wide, and what they represent.
Power-over is not real power, can never be a real power, and it will come
to pass because its foundation is illusory.

As a relevant aside, please take note of the medical and pharmaceutical
sectors as they increase prescriptions for what are actually social
problems.We have a nation of men and women on cry-if-I-could Prozac
and other anti-depressants, and children on Ritalin. The offspring of the
parents
who take these drugs often end up on Ritalin, then must graduate to the
grown-up drugs. Hence the current medicalization,  and very suppressed
not to mention creatively repressed populace, looking to the immediate
gratification of media and Hollywood for fulfillment. Another feather of
control
in the cap of capitalism. Another blow for the Arts. Another sad example of
insane men assuming control over healing from good men and mostly women
of yester-year.

This type of control will be rampant the more desperate and demised the
military machine becomes. Air, water, food, electronics & various signals
will
be quite contaminated with control features. Patriarchy is really only run
by a
few men. Most of the rest, along with women and children, are pawns too, but
have bought the illusion of being part of the control team. Perhaps that
illusion is
expressed in the non-verbal male communication that was mentioned, whose
nuances many will remember from basic psychology or real estate courses.
Trying to communicate or negotiate as patriarchal pawns rather than as
people
with goals based in real values simply feeds a flawed existing system, and
contributes to the erosion of the very qualities that make us human. If
women
only mirror men in their communications, they will not be aspiring to the
ideals
that humankind holds for itself. Nurturing and inspiring creativity will be
subjugated to the edicts of the state, like in good old Russia under
communist
rule. Eventually even patriarchy wonders where the love for life has gone.

More women in the workplace has not resulted in a shift in power. The
wealthy
few have simply tightened the reins, and increased their power base and
wealth
almost beyond restoration to balance. I believe, however, that the fear that
binds
is going to be its imminent undoing, and that that undoing will occur before
the
decades it would take for real change to transpire. Too many weapons, too
much
insanity in the White House, changing nature itself, changing humans for
countless
generations, taking away the basic necessities of life from their very own
hopes for
tomorrow. The trick is, if we simply let patriarchy crumble, there will
still be a
handful who retain their money and power, and it will not be easy to
disempower
or disinherit them

We will have to make the necessary changes to the power grid, and re-
shape it to one of fruit bearing structure, or else succumb to the suicide
of all vapid
cultures, by greed, W.M.D.'s or by the apathy due to loss of honouring the
soul.

Women, who are in the majority, must reconsider how such absolute power-over
comes about, must look at peaceful alternatives and step up to the vote with
foresight. Alongside the aware men of which there should be enough, we must
remove the insane mostly men from power positions, starting at the oval
office.
Let that trickle down into a system that can resuscitate a life-force. The
world and all
precious life upon it cannot afford to wait for gradual change.

Still optimistic,
Natalia