On Sep 16, 2008, at 6:17 AM, Ted Treen wrote:

> I have a mixture of G5 & 8-core MacPro machines at work - so I
> downloaded the 600MB+ Combo update for use on each/all.

I think Apple may have finally come up with the proverbial "silver
bullet" which renders OS X86 boxes useless.

Although other OS X86 users have reported "no problema" with the
10.5.5 Delta Update (for bringing a Hackintosh running the
"Vanilla" [ retail DVD ] version of Mac OS 10.5.4 up to 10.5.5), my
Hackintosh, equivalent to an OpenPro/MacPro, got a kernel panic
during the Software Update process itself, thereafter leaving the
partially updated system completely unusable. Fortunately, I have an
identical 1 TB disk as an on-line back-up to my usual boot disk. And,
fortunately, I had "synched" the two just before applying the update.

I am, therefore, hesitant to apply the update to my G4s (I have no
G5s, nor do I have any Intel Macs).

It is believed that 10.5.5 does update the MacOS kernel, but this was
"no problema" for the 10.5.4 update, which also updated the kernel.

I will likely "age" the update, and try again, after others running
G4s, and others running Hackintoshes, too, report positive results.