Apple may have done this "fix" for HackIntosh's but not likely. They
have refused to even recognize that HackIntosh's exist . The current
clones could have changed that but despite the movement growing the
Hacks are still small potatoes compared to the Millions of Macs sold .
If it was on purpose it was more of a game play on Apples part. They
know Hacks really can't be stopped so why waste their time and
resources . The Genie is out of the bottle and there is no going back
without major expense on Apples part and doing a Microsoft on security
which will only piss off the Apple faithful .  Despite Windows
draconian security measures which greatly affects the user experience
it is the most pirated software in the world .  Apple knows this only
too well . This doesn't mean they won't find a solution that works in
the future but have it seems decided not to follow Microsoft in
spending billions on security that doesn't work and compromises the
user experience.

Having said/ranted all that ;-) It took the HackIntosh hackers/
software experts all of 5 minutes to fix the Mac OS X 10.5.5 install
crash issue. They are like the Linux crowd devotion that money can't
buy . If Microsoft had employees like Linux and HackIntosh hackers
their product would be amazing with bugs fixed over night etc. Apple
is one of the best at this of any of the big commerical companies.
The fix for the crash while installing 10.5.5 on HacIntosh machines
(it's not likely to happen on a real Mac G4, G5 or Intel ) After the
install you need to remove the extension (called kext in OSX )
"AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext" located in
System/Library/Extensions . This kext is needed for MacBook & Macbook
Pro machines . It is unknown why it installs on some HackIntoshs. It's
also not new has shown up on some hack machines since Leopard
arrived.  If you have another Mac OS drive to boot from you can boot
from it and remove the kext from the failed 10..5 install, run disk
utility fix permissions then boot should work with 10.5.5 install.
There is even a kext to put on your machine that keeps the unwanted
kext from being installed in the first place. Yes the kernel is
updated to 9.5 from 9.4 in 10.5.4 . Vanilla kernel users should be
fine others need to keep the 9.4 kernel they are using in 10.5.4 .
Insanelymac.com is the place to read & learn more not here. Sorry for
this one time off topic post here. No follow up here from me . Will