Thanks Mel. It ain't a "stupid question" at all. Well, the thing is, I
make videos with Final Cut that consist largely of pans and zooms on
photos. I made one recently about art that showed a lot of paintings
that were scanned from slides (you can see it on YouTube at <http://
tinyurl.com/6e698m>). Anyway, so these videos consist of photos and
more photos, often in the original form of negatives and slides of
various formats, up to 6 X 6 cm, and they all have to be scanned and
digitized before I can use them.

What I wanted was the speed and convenience of being able to run Final
Cut and the Minolta film scanner at the same time, on the same
computer, and in the same OS, so as to be able to scan photos and
immediately drop them into Final Cut without needing to shut down
Final Cut and boot back into other versions of the OS, or go to
another computer entirely to scan the pictures and then move them over
to the Mac that's running Final Cut.

Just looking for convenience and speed, an "efficient workflow" I
guess they call it. But I guess, as you say, time has left the Minolta
film scanner and the SCSI interface behind, so we must make do with
what we have. Replacement film scanners with USB or SCSI interface
that can do what the Minolta does cost upwards of $2000. So, since the
"new" G5 I just bought cannot run an OS earlier than 10.4, and you
can't get inexpensive SCSI cards for it either, I'll simply have to
keep my old Quicksilver around and use it as a dedicated film scanning
station.

Or maybe try a SCSI-to-USB adapter as Kris suggested, and see if the
G5 can run the film scanner that way, with the less capable VueScan
software. Thanks Kris.

Trade-offs: with the "new" G5, I gain the video editing capability of
Final Cut Pro and some processor speed, but I leave behind my film
scanner, and have to run it with another computer, and then move files
between computers. So it goes, as computer technology races on.

Tom