On 16/10/2008, at 5:44 PM, Tom wrote:

> OK, I can report now that I tried the fix that is detailed in the
> Apple Discussion forum thread that Kris pointed me to (thanks again
> Kris). This involved uninstalling the old Adapted 2930 SCSI card
> driver and replacing it with the most recent driver downloaded from
> the Adaptec site.
>
> Well, I did it, and it made a bit of difference: now the Minolta
> scanning software recognizes the scanner in 10.4.11, which it never
> did before, but every time I try to use it and make a scan, it
> declares errors (claims the scanner is already busy) and aborts the
> scan. So, it wasn't much of a gain. I'm essentially back where I was
> before.
>
> But I can still boot back into 10.3.9 and use the Minolta software, or
> I can stay in 10.4.11 and use VueScan (thanks Brian), although VueScan
> is glacially slow compared to Minolta's software, and doesn't have
> near the image correction options. But I can still get good scans with
> it.
>
> So that's that, I guess. At least I can use the scanner, which is the
> only way I can scan my  big 6 X 6 cm. medium format slides and
> negatives. This big old beast cost over $2000 new, and a newer
> replacement, with a USB or FireWire interface instead of SCSI, would
> cost at least that, and probably more. Cheaper film scanners can only
> handle 35mm.
>
> Thanks for the offer to use your Minolta scanner if the lamp blows out
> of mine, John. But if you've gotten thousands of scans from your
> scanner, maybe I can do the same with mine, so I hope I'll never have
> to take you up on your offer and buy or borrow yours or something.
> Besides, you mentioned you have a few thousand more of your own slides
> to scan, so your scanner will be busy for a long time. Hope the lamp
> holds out!
>
> If you ever locate a source of replacement lamps for these Minolta
> Dimage Scan Multi scanners, please let me know. My manual says it's a
> "triphosphor white fluorescent lamp," but gives no brand or part
> number. I have some old Polaroid Sprintscan 35mm slide scanners lying
> around here, and each one of them has a spare fluorescent lamp stored
> inside. I wonder, if I were to open the Minolta scanner up, would I
> find an extra lamp stashed in there too? Probably not, or the manual
> would have mentioned it. But if/when it the lamp burns out I'll look
> there first. Would the Polaroid lamps fit the Minolta? That's another
> thing I'll try when the emergency arises.
>
> Thanks to all who helped, I appreciate it!
>
> Tom

G'day Tom

I'm going back a few years, but high end scanners usually have light
monitoring built in, so when the lamp deteriorates, they refuse to work.

The lamps/tubes are usually standard daylight white emitting tubes
available from any good electrical shop. It's simply too expensive to
make none-standard tubes.

I've had to replace a few over the years, some years ago with SCSI and
usb scanners, and didn't have any problems doing so. I hope you find
the situation hasn't changed.

Regards

Santa