On Oct 16, 2008, at 1:44 AM, Tom wrote:

> But I can still boot back into 10.3.9 and use the Minolta software, or
> I can stay in 10.4.11 and use VueScan (thanks Brian), although VueScan
> is glacially slow compared to Minolta's software, and doesn't have
> near the image correction options. But I can still get good scans with
> it.

There may be several other options? One is SANE (Scanner Access Now
Easy) for OS X. I've never had very good luck with it, but you might
have better luck? If it causes problems, keep the packages so that you
can look inside them with Pacifist and be 100% sure you delete
everything if you're uninstalling SANE.

Here's a link:
<http://www.ellert.se/twain-sane/>

It appears that Minolta is fairly well supported without an external
backend needed. You may want to consider a USB adapter also, I've had
old printers that were salvaged by a USB adapter.
<http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-MINOLTA>

Normally SANE is used as a TWAIN plugin interface, which means you
select the scanner from within an application such as Photoshop,
Graphic Converter, MS Office, etc. There is a small stand-alone
application, but it's not much, a basic scan program.

There's also the pricey SilverFast Minolta software ($59):
<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19665>

I think I'd try a SCSI-to-USB adapter first.