At 10:31 AM -0700 11/18/2008, Bruce Johnson wrote:
>On Nov 18, 2008, at 10:03 AM, Dan wrote:
>
>>  At 8:15 AM -0500 11/18/2008, Carl M. Alexander wrote:
>>>  Recently when having trouble with a G4 Mac Mini, I set up a PM7500
>>>  with a serial modem. It ran at 49333 bps.
>>>  Using either of 2 Apple branded USB modems with the Mini, the speed
>>>  is 28800 or 31200 bps. This is all with the same phone line.
>>>  Anyone out there had a similar experience?
>>
>>  See Bruce's reply.
>>
>>  That reported number is just the *initial* carrier speed, so it means
>  > little.
>
>Worse, that reported number is just the driver's guess at the reported
>speed. some old OS 9 modem files simply reported everything at a
>single speed.

DCE vs DTE speed.  The old scripts let the modem report DTE - the
speed between the modem and the Mac, which was always the same,
instead of DCE - the speed of the carrier.  I used to hack the
scripts to fix that.  Eventually Apple started changing 'em.

>And then there was "Modem Magic", which was purported to be special
>high-speed modem scripts for the Classic OS.
>
>All they did was set the modem string to AT&F8 which was standard AT
>'run with all your fast doo-dads enabled' default command, then
>published a totally bogus number.

LOL.  I wrote tailored scripts and such for several apps, back in the
day.  We did that - we had scripts that turned on all the features
and we had scripts that disabled some on certain model modems.  If
your phone line is noisy, sometime it helps to lock things down a bit.

Ah, the good ole days, when you could make a living because you spoke voodoo.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth