On Jan 15, 2013, at 11:13 AM, Len Gerstel <lgers...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> SCSI voodoo doesn't happen because it fails to work when people
>> configure SCSI properly.  SCSI voodoo happens because SCSI often still
>> works even when it is misconfigured, and then when it stops working,
>> folks act puzzled and call it voodoo.
>
> Respectfully disagree. Back in the day there were many people with scsi
> issues on this list that were only using 50 pin narrow and their scsi chain
> would only work if the devices were on it in a certain order, whether or not
> they were powered up, and various other problems.

That's because back in the day a whole lot of cheap-ass SCSI devices did not
conform to standards, like my Umax scanner that decided it was ID 2 on ANY scsi
bus in the system, not just the one it's on. Iomega was notorious for fubar-ing
SCSI.

Jeff is correct, in that properly configured, termionated and connected SCSI
stuff is very reliable, but leaves out the fact that it was nearly impossible
to do that with some devices.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona