On Feb 21, 2018, at 2:20 PM, diane
<dianed...@gmail.com<mailto:dianed...@gmail.com>> wrote:

I have a 2003 G4 1.42DP (FW800)

With the exception of a couple of hard drive replacements and a power supply
back in 2011, it's been bomb proof.

The other day though, it started to shutdown on boot (it had been running for
weeks prior to this). I googled and found many references to this but mostly
with a display with a proximity sensor, which I do not have.

I pulled it out of it's cubby and will clean it out, but I'd also like to
replace the battery while it's open.

What's the best place to buy them these days? I used to get them at Radio Shack
but they are no longer around.

Worse case I have a couple of older machines that I suppose I can fire up and
put my drive in to get my data off, but ideally I'd like to get this going

Any thoughts? It just spins on the grey screen for a couple of minutes and then
shuts down. I usually screen share into it so I'm not sure if it was doing
something else prior. It did sound like it booted fully the fist time. Earlier
this week I had it up and running for awhile but it wasn't connected to the
network so that's when I shut it down and this happened.

If you’re running OS X try holding down the command and V key while booting;
that will display what’s going on while it’s trying to boot; you may be able to
catch what is causing an error before it restarts.

Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona
College of Pharmacy
Information Technology Group