If the OP wants to confirm this, disconnect the HDD, power and data and boot.
It SHOULD come up with the “I want a disk” screen.  If it shuts down, it
certainly isn’t the HDD.

A lot of simple debugging can be done by disconnecting things.  Minimum for a
test is video, power and one bank of memory, no USB, no serial, no ADB, no
network, no expansion cards (except for video if needed), etc.

Clark Martin
A designated driver on the information Super Highway

> On Mar 4, 2018, at 1:49 PM, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 24, 2018, at 3:44 PM, Mac User #330250 <macuser330...@gmx.net
>> <mailto:macuser330...@gmx.net>> wrote:
>>

>>> Even if the HDD was toast, the Mac would not shutdown: it would say "I can't
>>> find any boot disk" - or something like that.
>>> And if the HDD was corrupted, the Mac would show the folder icon with a
>>> flashing question mark (meaning "Cannot find a valid system to boot").
>>
>> HDD failures don't have to be total. Sometimes only some sectors are
>> corrupted and that's what makes it act up, including the possibility to
>> have it shut down on its own afer a certain timeout.
>
> I’ve dealt with failing disks a number of times on both Classic and OS X over
> the years and this will not cause the system to shut down like this.

---
"G-Group" group.
to g3-5-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.