On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Anne Pajon <anne.pa...@cancer.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> No the galaxy machine is not a submitting node of the cluster.

That's probably the problem then :)

> So I suppose I do have those two options:
>
> (1) making the galaxy server a submitting node to the cluster
> or
> (2) install and run galaxy on a cluster node
>
> What would be best? Any suggestions? If (1), any ideas on
> what needs to be installed?

We went with (1), partly for historical admin reasons of
machine ownership - but also this avoided having a single
critical point with one machine running both Galaxy and
being our cluster head node (since the cluster isn't just
used for Galaxy jobs).

Regarding (2), I don't think you want Galaxy running on a
cluster compute node - Galaxy isn't that computationally
demanding but I wouldn't want the same machine to also
be running general cluster jobs. Consider a rogue job
submitted to the cluster which consumes too much RAM
and brings the node down - that can be annoying, but it
would be painful if this also killed your Galaxy server.

It might make sense to put Galaxy on your cluster head
node - which might make sharing the data drive simpler
too, depending on how your cluster is setup.