On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 9:43 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Ulf Schaefer <ulf.schae...@phe.gov.uk> wrote:
>> Dear Nate, dear Peter
>>
>> Sorry for the delay in replying.
>>
>> I can import both HTML and blastdb from a history to a data library. If
>> I try to get the data out of the library into anothre history, I am
>> successful for the html but not for the blastdb. The problem seems to be
>> that the primary data file (the /path/dataset_12345.dat) is empty for
>> the blastdb, while the html primary file has something in it.
>
> OK. Can you tell where Galaxy thinks the library files are on disk,
> and check to see if the folder of BLAST database files is actually
> there?
>
>> When I try to import the blastdb (from library to history) there is a
>> message along the lines of "can't import empty file". I hypothesise
>> (admittedly without having looked at a line of code) that there is a
>> test for file size 0 somewhere that is either altogether unnecessary or,
>> more likely, does not take into account that for composite datatypes it
>> might be completely legitimate for the primary file to be empty.
>
> This guess makes sense - but I've not yet tried to trace through
> the code either.
>
>> Or is my primary blastdb file not supposed to be empty in the first
>> place? I can blast against it just fine.
>
> The BLAST databases do not define/populate a primary file, so
> Galaxy seems to create a dummy empty file on its own. I have
> wondered about altering the BLAST database datatype definition
> to have a human readable text file as the "primary file" (i.e. the
> information currently saved as a text log file when creating a
> database).

Correction: I actually implemented this late last year (included in
BLAST+ wrapper version v0.0.22 onwards, and the Galaxy
BLAST datatypes version v0.0.18 onwards):

https://github.com/peterjc/galaxy_blast/commit/9b3f65cddcc60de26de63272c362c6ca53f6559d
https://github.com/peterjc/galaxy_blast/commit/2ebfb790d5a1bbe310c3d7ccc2b953c2c37bccf2

The makeblastdb wrapper will send the stdout (log information)
to the dummy index file, see the end of the <command> tag in:
https://github.com/peterjc/galaxy_blast/blob/master/tools/ncbi_blast_plus/ncbi_makeblastdb.xml

The display_data method for a BLAST database will show any
makeblastdb log information held in the dummy index file, see
https://github.com/peterjc/galaxy_blast/blob/master/datatypes/blast_datatypes/blast.py

i.e. Only older BLAST databases in histories should have empty
dummy index files, which will mitigate the library problem:
https://trello.com/c/bNEKfOWR