Hi, Damien.
Yes, a full blown programming language like C#.net, VB.NET, or C++ will
give you the ability to design the highest quality games using DX.
I don't know if you have tried Monty but it is just the tip of the ice
burg of what is possible with a real programming language. I'm still
learning myself, and my next engine for Star Wars is going to be a 3d
world. I haven't seen that tried for VI games yet. I'm not just talking
3d audio, but the actual playing world will be a 3d area. You will have
catwalks and ledges above you, grates that lead to places below you, etc.