Hi Damien,
First, if you are using DirectX 8 with VB.NET no wonder you are getting
a crash dialog. You aren't suppose to use DirectX 8 with VB.NET. You
need DirectX 9.0C SDK, and nothing earlier.
Second, While it is true the entire .NET framework is large, 30 MB of
libraries, bare in mind that .NET is becoming a core part of the Windows
operating system, and will be included in Windows Vista as a core part
of the os. So games written with .NET framework 2 should just install
and run on Vista out of the box.
With older operating systems like Win 98 before .NET was written
naturally Microsoft has a Windows update for 98, ME, 2000 etc which
upgrades them, but generally speaking it is a one time upgrade provided
no new new major versions hasn't come out. FYI. .NET 2 will run v1.1 and
1.0 .NET apps provided they were not locked to an installer which
searches only for a specific build number of .NET.
Third, you said you have more libraries than our necessary you are
cutting .NET short. Actually, what MS has done is packed everything most
applications need in to a nice set of libraries which are easy to
understand, program with, and bare in mind .NET apps are not a "compiled
binary as much as are converted to a runtime language, (MSIL.) Like Java
all apps need a runtime environment which makes the application quickly
portable across operating systems, devices, etc without a recompile.
Packing it all in to a 30 to 50 MB runtime for portability which most
developers sees is the way of the future for programs.
Fourth, as for your comments about C++ only needing DirectX that isn't
always true. There are allot of libraries you can include from the Win32
API in your game, and  those dll files are already preinstalled as a
part of the Windows os already.