I was also referd by a blind friend who was your friend thomas paul nimmo brought me over here. I aam glad now he did.
Lisa Hayes

www.nutrimetics.com.au/lisahayes

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 11:44 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Quality verses quantity of games.

Hi Dark,

I know exactly where you are coming from. I first came to Audyssey
after being referred by a blind friend, and it just so happens one of
the first games I tried was Lone Wolf which was a fairly advanced game
for audio games at the time. Shades of Doom came out about a year
later and it reinforced the idea that audio games were not all simple
text adventures or card and board games. I realized that audio games
could be much more. If I hadn't had that experience I might have tried
to stick with the mainstream games I was playing because there would
have been nothing comparable in audio games at the time.

It isn't that Jim Kitchen, Robert Betz, PCs Games, etc were developing
bad games, but they were not the kind of games I was use to. I had
been use to playing Tomb Raider, Jedi Knight, Quake, Doom, Mech
Warrior, and so on. In other words I was use to first-person shooters,
third-person shooters, and action simulations when the blind community
were still largely playing games like Uno and Hearts. There is no
comparison and the disappointment I felt was a major let down.

Then, a friend showed me a game he had gotten from GMA called Lone
Wolf. That restored the faith in me that audio games didn't have to be
card, board, and puzzle games. I looked at Lone Wolf and could see it
was sort of like Aces of the Deep, and even if it wasn't as good as
Aces of the Deep it was good enough to play and I liked it.

A year or so later Shades of Doom came out, and I liked it right away.
It wasn't exactly like Doom, the same way Lone Wolf wasn't exactly
like Aces of the Deep, but was close enough to be comparable and just
as fun. To this day Shades of Doom is among my top five audio games.
It is and remains a part of my fave five as is Lone Wolf.

Now, over the years I have become more accepting of basic card and
board games such as those by Jim Kitchen and Ian, because they are
still good games even though they aren't fast paced side-scrollers and
first-person shooters. It took me a while to get out of the mainstream
mindset that I had to have the latest and greatest action games for
the PC available. Part of that was simply getting out of the teenage
and young adult gaming scene and being blind meant I took a different
gaming path than most of my high school friends and college mates.
However, during that transition it really helped to have a couple of
games that were comparable to what I had been playing to help me
discover audio games in the first place. Otherwise if there only had
been card and board games I doubt I would have stayed with Audyssey
and be here moderating the list now just because I was looking for
something like Shades of Doom when starting out.  :D