Hi tom.

well I wasn't in the same position as yourself in wanting the latest and best thing, since for years I'd always had my choices been limited, indeed for me playing games like Sryth and legend of the green dragon in text (which i did long before I discovered audio games), was largely my first and very welcome experience of rpgs.

what I've always loved in games is exploration and discovery, and while I was quite happy finding that in text adventures and brouser mmorpgs, it wasn't something that occurred to me when looking at the original games to play offline list over at whiestick back in about 2004. i admit I didn't check out many of the games in detail, but was concerned that many seemed to be things like chess, cards etc, which i didn't really see the point of playing on a computer since they wouldn't give the same experience.

I wouldn't say playing audio games changed my priorities, indeed when I am in a serious gaming mood I still play games like shades of doom, lone wolf or some of my low vision accessible ones like Turrican or mega man, however I did realize there was such a thing as different forms of games for different periods of time and different feelings, which is really something i largely missed, since even with marrio or mega man I'd generally sit down and evote serious attention, and while occasionally i'd play something like tetris while reading a book on tape, this would be less frequent and generally i'd prefer something like Tetris.

Even now, while I will gladly play alternative games depending upon what I'm doing, i generally want something a bit more complex with challenge atmosphere and exploration when i'm in the frame of mind to play a serious game and discover new things.

fortunately audio games exist to suit man y different moods now, albeit I'd love to see a few more with full exploration like shades.

Beware the Grue!