Hello Thomas, yes, I have to agree with you. Roberts games was the first
games that I played, and that's how I discovered the Window-Eyes screen
reader,  as it was one of the options in the game.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gamers [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 7:46 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Article on blind games and developers

Hi Shaun,

About the early growth of the industry it is true that the industry sprang
up really fast once it really got going. At first it was just three or four
developers like PCs Games, Kitchens Inc, GMA, and a couple of others writing
games for Dos. Then around 1999 or 2000 the audio games industry really took
off with the introduction of VB 6 and DirectX 8. I'd say in the space of
about five years between 99 and
2004 the audio games industry was truly born. Jim Kitchen began porting all
of his games to Windows. GMA also ported their games like Trek and Lone Wolf
to Windows as well as came out with Shades of Doom and Tank Commander.BSC
Games got started and put out a good solid half a dozen releases like
Troopanum, Hunter, Pipe, Deekout, Bobby's
Revenge, and so on.   ESP, then owned by James North, came out with an
impressive catalog of games including Dynaman, Alien Outback, Monkey
Business, ESP Pinball Classic, ESP Whoopass, etc. Liam started L-Works and
came out with Egg Hunt, Lockpick, Super Liam, and the Great Toy Robbery.
Robert Betz, AKA Games for the Blind, was putting out a handful of card and
board games. When you look at it objectively just in that period of time
between 1999 and 2004 almost all of the major audio game releases were
developed and released, and after that the industry has rapidly slowed and
stopped since then. There are, of course, some good reasons for that slow
down in development.

First of all, many of the original founders like ESP, BSC Games, Robert
Betz, Bavisoft, etc are no longer around. With ESP we are fortunate that
James North turned his games over to Josh for development, but in the case
of BSC, Robert Betz, and a few other developers we aren't that lucky. Even
if they had turned the source code for their games over to someone else it
would have to be rewritten which brings me to the second reason game
development has slowed.

Back in the late 90's and early 2000's a developer's options were simple.
They could go the advanced route and develop their games in
C++ the hard way using DirectX etc or they could use Visual Basic with
DirectX which was a much easier choice. Jim Kitchen, GMA Games, ESP, BSC
Games, Robert Betz, and so forth all took the VB 6 option which was
completely reasonable for the time. However, in 2008 Microsoft officially
scrapped VB 6, and unfortunately the majority of those developers had not
switched to .NET or some other modern alternative so that their older games
will have technical problems with newer versions of Windows. Fixing said
issues requires a complete rewrite in VB .NET or something else compatible
with Windows 7 and Windows 8 which will take considerable time and effort to
do.

On top of the language issue we are now faced with the fact Windows is not
the only operating system we need to concern ourselves with. A number of
blind users have gone Mac, and that is a new market that hasn't been fully
supported yet. There are iOS devices like iPhones and iPads which have
exploded onto the market with hundreds of blind customers asking for more
games. There is a minority market that includes myself running Linux which
is reasonably accessible and is one more market ripe with potential
customers. The bottom line I have spent more time on trying to figure out
how to develop games for these new platforms than I have in writing games.
Josh also has also put considerable time and effort into developing
cross-platform tools for Mac, Windows, and iOS that took something like two
or three years to get to a state where he could put out Silver Dollar and
Change Reaction. The bottom line cross-platform development is hard, is a
lot of work, and wasn't even an issue 10 to 15 years ago when the audio
games market was made up exclusively of blind Windows users.

In short, between the loss of developers and the change in technologies this
loll in game development should not come as any big surprise. Its more
complicated than it use to be, and we don't have as many people working on
it as we use to. I'm hoping that BGT and other technologies like it will
help with the problem, but the tool is only as good as the developer using
it which is one more problem we have against us.

For example, take the discussion a few days ago with John about math and
such. If a new developer doesn't have the mathematical skills etc to
competently develop a certain type of audio game BGT is not going to help
with that. It will be up to us more skilled developers to train and teach
the next generation of game developers so they know what they are doing
which takes time and energy too.