It's funny. I'd actually like to try out both Mac and Windows 8.1. I migt lose access to afew games but they're not ones I play much these days.

They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!
-----Original Message----- From: Thomas Ward
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 10:18 AM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] mac versus windows sales plus iOS question

Hi Josh,

that is a very valid point. All too often there are people who say
they hate a certain operating system such as Mac OS, Linux, or a new
version of Windows based only on a few hours of trying it at a friends
house or at a store and then declaring it junk. the problem is as you
stated is that they really do need a few weeks perhaps a few months to
get over their prior experiences and give the operating system a fair
assessment without biases to find out if they really like it or not. I
can use myself as an example here.

Back when Windows 8 was available for beta testing I grabbed the
public beta, slapped NVDA on it, and my first inclination was that it
sucked. I hated the interface, was upset of having all the ribbons in
File Explorer, the removal of the Start Menu, whatever. I swore up and
down I would not buy it.

However, a year later my opinion has changed. Given the choice between
Windows 8 and Windows 7 I'd take Windows 8 over Windows 7. There are a
variety of reasons why my opinion changed, but one has to do with I
have grown use to the changes, I have found workarounds I didn't know
about before for things I didn't like, and can look more objectively
at certain things like performance, accessibility,  and so on which I
wasn't really looking at when beta testing.

The point is that had I gone on my first impressions alone I would not
have gotten Windows 8 or 8.1. I'd probably be as steadfast about
Windows 7 as some users are about XP. However, now that I have had
time to assess the operating system there are things I don't like, but
there are also things I like too. I think my opinion is certainly more
valid than it was a year ago.

However, there is another flaw in Dark's logic besides just using an
operating system for a day and declaring it good or bad, and that is
he is looking for some illusive improvement in word processing,
playing mp3s, etc. I am afraid if that is his only criteria than he
will be disappointed in computers in general since I think all
operating systems are about the same in that regard, and he will never
find a reason to upgrade because one can do those things just as well
on Windows 8.1 as on Windows XP with verylittle to no difference in
features. It seems to me Dark's argument is similar to the "if it
isn't broke don't fix it" argument.

Cheers~!!