I'm afraid I came to this topic really late. I have no idea what's
being developed or the questions asked so far.
However, like a complete whacko, I'll post my two cents anyway.
First of all, menus are an awesome tool. They are useful, in fact I'd
go as far to say a necessary standard part of most games. The problem
I find, in our games, is that what starts out as a simple menu end up
becoming this god-awful, holy crap, when will it end affair. To that
end, I suggest what I feel to be several important things to keep in
mind in menu creation.
First, if you have a menu, make sure that speech is interruptable.
Second, context menus with keyboard shortcuts are really awesome where
possible.
Third, and this one is often overlooked, how would it be to have menus
as a grid rather than a list? Swiping/hitting down/whatever cycling
method we're discussing might make it work like a list (if end of
column, then next column at 0) or something, but the thing that I
think we lack, most of all, is a sense of immediacy in our games, and
that is at least in part because of the amount of menus and such we
typically have to navigate.

This is a bit rambling, and it may be unhelpful, impractical, or
unwelcome, but I do hope it helps.
Please feel free to be more specific, and I'll do that also.

Signed:
Dakotah Rickard