Hi Tom.

I'm afraid I completely disagree about analogue movement. The sort of sticks your talking about, the 3D thumb sticks that directly calibrated player movement to stick position, eg, far right = walk fast right less far right = slower, didn't come into the mainstream world until the 32/64 bit era in the mid 90's.

All the previous games, including classics like mario, sonic, MEga man etc had a simple on/off input system, even for joysticks. I know this very certainly because I have read the manual for my X arcade stick which precisely imitates those movements, so have a vague idea at least how the hardware works.

The way that all those 8 and 16 bit era games handled analogue movement was much more to do with the software and game engine than the hardware. For example, instead of having a character's walking speed be constant, have it gradually increase when the correct direction is held. With jumps, have the amount of time held on the jump button dictate the hight of the jump, in combination with how much the directional buttons are pressed and what speed the character was going.

Many games (like mario), also had a run button which, when held would cause the character to run further and any running jumps be hier.

All of this is quite possible on a pc keyboard by simply tracking the time spent holding the keys, indeed I've played freeware graphical games that do this quite nicely so that playing on a keyboard isn't that different technically to playing on a stick. indeed when playing the Pc turrican remakes, I don't miss my old comador Amigar Zip stick half as much as I would expect to :D.

So yes, the analogue thumb stick controllers could be used to create in game movement, but certainly for something with the same movement model as all the games of the pre 32 bit era had wouldn't be difficult at all at least from a design perspective.

The problem however is firstly that as you said, if people have not experienced the mechanics of mainstream games they do not know! the fine differences in say Mario's walking and jumping speed, and secondly precisely working out some mathematics to create a more analogue system of control rather than just a basic press button movement model such as games like Superliam and Q9 have.

Perhaps this is where writing some tutorials or basic formulae for programmers would be helpful.

Beware the grue!