Hi Dark,

I certainly see where you are coming from, but I see two problems with
your conclusions. One, is that not every programmer has the same
skills, and sometimes one programmer might think of a novel solution
to solve a problem that another programmer would not think of to
resolve a particular problem in converting some mainstream mechanics
to audio. Two, just because a solution has not been introduced does
not mean one does not exist. Merely that not all the possibilities
have been tried yet.

Let's take your example of Duck Hunt here. I'll be the first to admit
Liam did not do the best job of converting that game to audio, because
its overly simplistic compared to the NES version. The ducks simply
fly across the screen and when they are in the center you hit space to
shoot them. Pretty dull and not at all like the original game.

However, as I sit here I can think of away to restore the original
challenge of the game, and write Duck Hunt to be on par with the video
game version. The way to do it would be to add an audio targeting
system similar to what Justin did in the Gorbian levels of Troopanum
2. You would be able to move the targeting beep left and right until
the duck is centered and then move it up and down to center it on the
duck. When the pitch of the beep is at its maximum shoot. If tied with
a game controller, mouse, or something we would effectively be
recreating Duck Hunt almost exactly like the classic NES version, and
have it be fully accessible. Not sure Liam had thought of trying
anything like that when creating his version of Duck Hunt, but that is
a case of where I think the experience could be drastically improved
to be fairly close to the original in challenge and still use the same
basic mechanics.

I'll freely admit when I was working on Montezuma's Revenge I wasn't
trying too hard to find solutions for various issues. I was primarily
in a big hurry so if there was not something I knew how to do or have
an idea how to get around some problem with converting some aspect of
the game to audio I just skipped it intending to come back to the
problem at a later time. Therefore certain things such as the bouncing
skulls were left undone.

That said, now that six years have passed since working on the game I
have a few ideas in which I could have implemented the bouncing
skulls. One way would be by introducing a bounce or jump sound for
when the skulls bounced into the air, and a land sound for when they
hit the ground. The Airbot battle in Super Liam is an example of one
way the bouncing skulls could be made accessible, but I was in too
much of a hurry at the time to really look for that kind of solution
at the time.

My point being just because various audio games lack a certain feature
found in a video game counterpart doesn't mean it is impossible or too
difficult to convert a specific mechanic from a video game to audio.
It could be a lack of skill, shear laziness on the developers part, or
simply a case of not thinking the problem completely through. I'm
personally not ready to put the smackdown on converting video game
mechanics to audio and give it the 1, 2, 3 until all alternatives have
been explored.

Cheers!