Shades of Doom Beta version 20015:
From David Greenwood on 7 July:
Hi all,

Fixed many of the problems mentioned such as the toilet that doesn't give up its ammo, or even give up its blob, the problem with the crate and several other things. They were all related.

A few people asked to have the monster sounds in the sound help, but this does not seem to be necessary since all you need to do is press Control-M when you encounter a monster and its name is given.
From 8 July:
What would people think if instead of having a built-in voice, we use your choice of MS Sapi or your screen reader. In this way I can be sure of having a consistent, easily understood voice, since you have selected it yourself. Also, I can expand Shades of Doom and not worry about matching voice tamber, pitch, and volume. Voice actors have been suggested, but sometimes you lose track of them, or they might not be interested in continuing when you make changes at a later date. There is another reason. I need the speech to be flexible. For example, to be able to say someone's name, and to eventually translate all the speech to other languages. There is another issue. What about keyinterrupt? When Jaws, and maybe other screen readers are speaking, you press any key and it interrupts the current speech. You can miss important information that way, and you may not even know that you do. This does not happen with MS Sapi.
Sod version 2.0.15 is ready for download.
Lots of suggestions were included, and it can be played using the built-in voice, your screen reader, or MS Sapi.

http://www.GMAGames.com/sod20015.exe

As with all betas, backup any SOD data you do not want to lose. For example, the folder:

c:\users\<your name>\documents\Shades of Doom 2.0
should be backed up. This name varies depending on the version of Windows. Other possibilities could be:
c:\users\<your name>\my documents\Shades of Doom 2.0
or
c:\documents and settings\<your name>\my documents\Shades of Doom 2.0

In the program folder there is a file called English.txt. For those who might be interested in translating the speech text to another language, you may be interested in this file. Of course you will need to set Speech in the options menu to MS Sapi or screen reader to take advantage of any changes.
From Phil:
To turn on your SAPI or Screen Reader voice,
Play the game and after David says hit f1 for help,
do that.
Note the default built in voice will be used until you change it.
After hitting f1  use up arro to get to options
Then right arrow to open them,
then up arrow two times to get to speech setting.
To change it use the space bar
When you have the correct setting hit down arrow to save settings and hit enter.

If your computer doesn't allow changing files in c:\program files\Shades of Doom 2.0, the default location,
You need to uninstall the game and install it in a different location,
I would try,
c:\users\YourName\downloads
or c:\users\YourName\games
If the folder doesn't exist, you need to create it.

For those who want to use your SAPI voices in Shades of Doom, you need to pick the voice, volume and pitch in your Windows control panel.
It is under Text to Speech.
I adjusted my pitch from 50 percent to 75 percent which sounds better in the game. In Windows Vista, there is an apply button to hit first before leaving the TTS feature.