Pretty much this. Every other role-playing game I have ever played
(and I have played a lot of them) has the knock spell a guaranteed
success when used. I understand the need for balance, but there are
far better ways to accomplish this than the current one in use.

The only way I would pick up Knock is if my primary was a Mage and I
had a lot of Mage cast gear on. Even then, I am not certain if it is
worth the pracs when I could simply take levels in Thief and the pick
locks skill.

On 1/10/17, Jude DaShiell <jdash...@panix.com> wrote:
> Why not just have knock blow the hinge pins out of the door?
>
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2017, dark wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 06:26:00
>> From: dark <d...@xgam.org>
>> To: Gamers@audyssey.org
>> Subject: [Audyssey] Alteraeon knock spell
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I've been trying to do the drow city close to fort Magnitia, and ran
>> across a door that was locked.
>> I tried the knock spell a bunch of times, and despite havig 25 int and 18
>> dex couldn't get through at all. I've neglected learning lock picking
>> since as a druid mage I really should be using magic rather than dex,
>> however it seems that KNock pretty much is just lock picking with a mana
>> cost, which makes it a bit pointless, and also a problem if you don't have
>> high dex, indeed I got killed because I ran out of mana on the bloody door
>> (that and I didn't have a livoak at the time).
>>
>> I was therefore wondering if the knock spell could be made a bit more
>> effective as an alternative tto lock picking given that it costs mana to
>> use. Indeed what might be fun is if the knock spell, instead of simply
>> replicating the lock picking skill with a spell opened the door in a
>> different way, for example with the first casting having the mage
>> concentrate and grasp the tumblers in the lock one by one before turning
>> them, meaning knock would always work, but at an increased mana cost.
>>
>> Heck necromancers could have a versio where they create a literal skeleton
>> key out of harvested bones, which could be more efficient on mana than the
>> mage version, but require teeth.
>>
>> I know the game often has several ways of doing the same thing, for
>> example the spells candle, crystal light and continual light, but it'd be
>> really useful if in this case the spell did a little more than just
>> replicate  lock pick and so could be a bit more useful to none thieves.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Dark.
>> gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
>> list,
>>

> --

Justin M. Jones, M.A.
atreides...@gmail.com
(254) 624-9155
701 Ewing St. #509-C, Ft. Wayne IN, 46802