Hi,
Yeah, I have a Soundmax in my Ubuntu Linux desktop. I don't do a lot of gaming on it so the sound card serves my purposes quite nicely. One thing I can say for the Soundmax AC-97 cards is that they work with practically every OS I've tried them in. I've tried various Linux brands, Windows, and even freeBSD with good results. The cards are pretty good for us open source types.

shaun everiss wrote:
Well I get the cheap cards with my laptops and desktops because they are
internal about themselves.
A nice no frills card is the soundmax.
its not much but its ok.
I have an sb16 also.
The last card that I have had that was a pci card was a forte media fm801.
Its a pitty that toshiba are not using yamaha as they used to.
Everything used to be yamaha but now its soundmax and realtech crappy.

please send E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]