De: "alex wallis" <alexwallis...@googlemail.com>
Para: <gamers@audyssey.org>
Data: Segunda, 22 de Dezembro de 2008 15:02
Assunto: [Audyssey] thoughts on smugglers 4

hi list.
please forgive me not replying in the smugglers 4 threads, but because of my
annoying jaws issue, I couldn't select the subject line in a digest in order to
copy it so i could paste it into my subject of this message.
anyway, I think its great the smugglers 4 developer is trying to make his game
accessible,
however i just wish he had consulted us on what we as blind players need.
as although i like this type of game, there are several issues with it that for
me just make the game a lot of hard work to play, in fact i've pritty much
given up playing it.#]
firstly the biggest headake is for a jfw user the combat screen when your ship
is fighting just looks a total mess, its really hard to make sense of it and
you can't easily find options as they are berried in bits of random text about
your ship, or so
me times split over several lines.
my second big headake is the fact that he's just tried to adapt the interface a
little bit, i'm sure we all agree it would be a lot easier to play if we had a
conventional menu system we could use with the pc cursor, and maybe even the
ability to pres
s letters to activate particular options.
i'm playing on a laptop, and its probably because of the amount of cursoring
around i have to do as well as simulated mouse clicks that just annoys me, it
can some times take me 15 or 20 minutes just to beat one ship.
mostly because after each action i do like firing a gun i have to cursor down
to the bottom of the screen, simulate a mouse click with caps and number 8 to
click ok, and then move back up the screen and try to find the fire option
again, and then if i
 have 1 point left over i have to waste time hunting around the screen for the
end turn option.
your arms can get quite tired when doing a lot of simulated mouse clicks lol.
all in all i find this game frustrating to play and i wouldn't recommend anyone
to buy it untill either its interface is radicly altered for us, or neils
designs a conventional menu system for us.
i wrote to him explaining my issues, and he wrote back complaining sales of his
game hadn't been as good as he'd hoped so it would make it harder for him to
continue developing the blind compatibility mode. thing is though if he'd
actually consulted t
he gamers list on what we needed or wanted in the first place he would have
been able to design it so it would be both fun and easy to play, and would
probably get a lot more sales. so i actually have very little simpathy for the
game not selling as w
ell as he'd hoped because he didn't design it well for us, he just went ahead
and did what he thought we needed.

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.