True enough, but I'm certain that if these mainstream game designers were to find out where blind gamers congrigate and conduct some accessibility surveys in those communities they would probably attract many more potential customers. People who weren't gamers up until then but had the interest might be encouraged to come forward with their ideas. I just happen to feel that their lack of understanding is as much their own fault for not bothering to find out as it is ours for not being able to enlighten them. And again, we've been trying to enlighten them for years without much success. So while I understand their concerns I don't have much sympathy for them. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Copywrite and abandonware

Hi Bryan,

Snip
The question was  why accessibility to the blind was
such an abhorrent concept to mainstream game designers. I refuse to say alien since we've been trying to explain it to them for years and most refuse to listen.
End snip

Well, as I have said so many times already most of it comes down to numbers of potential end users and money. If a feature like accessibility isn't going to sell millions of extra copies, and it costs them x to produce that accessibility it isn't going to happen. It is simple supply and demand unfortunately. Another issue to consider is simply that accessibility is not taught in college courses either. Anyone can pick up some programming credits at a local community college, tech school, etc but that will generally consist of programming theory and basic training in language x. None of that training is hands on instruction on ways to make your applications accessible to a blind user. In fact, this lack of understanding among programmers about accessibility needs is why the Gnome foundation has build accessibility directly into the core Gnome 2.x desktop. Apple has also set about building accessibility features into the core Cocoa API for Mac OS. The concept on Linux and Mac now is rather than putting accessibility into the hands of the third-party developers that operating system core APIs do what is necessary by default leving the third-party developers to concern themselves with writing the application and let the various access features built into the API handle the access needs for the application by default.