I coudln't agree more. Like I said my brother and I had a talk about game accessibility yesterday. We got to discussing old computer games lik Gobblins and Pirates! both of which titles I would love to see made accessible. And those are probably prime titles for remaking. And since Pirates! was created by one guy if it was possible to contact him we might be abl to get his blessing for creating, if not an exact clone, then at least a game in the same style. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 5:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Copywrite and abandonware

Hi Dark,

Snip
It seems to be an unfortunate truth that individually people are pretty decent,
collectively they are vile!
End snip

I agree. That seams to be a universal flaw of the human race. Especially, in a ccorperate environment where very few people actually do all the decision making. I have to say between my communications with Lucas Licensing and my talks with Sony Entertainment I have become totally disgusted and lost all respect for big name corperations of any kind. Any time I have a valid concern, issue, suggestion, etc I get blocked by some peon guarding the gates to the castle. All they will say is thanks for your e-mail, phone call, but we can't let you speak to so and so for such and such regulation bla, bla, bla.

Snip
This seems to absolutely hold true for game access. The larger the company, the less response we get, where as I've had some great conversations with solo creators
or small groups of games about access issues.
End snip

Been there done that. Main reason is major companies have hired a bunch of flunkies to man the phones, e-mail, who's job must be to discurrage contact with them. The minute you mention access issues with the large companies they thank you for your suggestion and say whatever to get you off the phone as soon as possible. The more honest ones come out and tell you legally they can't take suggestions for their products and services and give you the big kick in the pants to get lost. In my experience smaller companies and definitely the open source comunity are more willing to at least here you out. On Linux if i file a bug someone looks into it fairly rapidly. If I make a suggestion someone on the development team will state if it is possible, feasable, or at least seriously consider my request. I don't feel major corperations do that enough.