Hi Jim,
This is one of those cases of personal preference. That constant debugging of my code drives me absolutely up the wall. Especially, when I start typing some code and Window Eyes decides to start announcing every status message that comes up in the error child window. That distracts me, and I can't get anything done. I'd rather just write it, compile it, and let the debugger tell me what lines of code need fixing. Then again, this is probably in the way I learned to program. In college for my C++ course we used Unix systems, and I used a modified version of Linux with speakup to do the course work. We just used an ordinary text editor and the gcc command line compiler. That isn't anything as near as fancy as Visual C++, but I learned to do without all of the features of Visual Studio early on. As a result when I was introduced to them I didn't like them, but many of my class mates loved them.
Smile.

Jim Kitchen wrote:
Hi Thomas,

You know in the IDE of the VB6 part of Visual Studio besides the auto complete there is also that it will instantly inform you of many little programming errors. You know like a missing parentheses etc. And then there is the integrated help system. You know, just press the f1 key to get the syntax, an example etc of the command that you are having trouble with.

You know every since I started programming in Basic back in 1980, I have always programmed in the IDE. The main reason for me is that like in VB6 I type in a couple of lines of code and press the f5 key to run the program and test the new lines of code. I just would not be happy typing in a bunch of lines of code in Note Pad or whatever, then running a command line compiler and coming up with errors and going what, where, why.

Any who programming in the IDE has always worked well for me.

BFN

    Jim

I am using BASIC, because I don't want to be C-sick.

j...@kitchensinc.net
http://www.kitchensinc.net
(440) 286-6920
Chardon Ohio USA