Hi everyone,

I've done about all you can imagine an audio game could use, from joystick inputs, to full featured online play with virtually no lag. All this was done with visual
basic .net.
End quote

I'd like to add to this in my experience that the language itself is usually as less important as knowing how to program in it correctly, being able to get the most out of it, and as long as it fulfills all of your requirements and expectations. As it happens Visual Basic .NET has come a long long ways from Visual Basic 6. There are many new features and abilities in Visual Basic .NET that make it sutable for just about any project if you really want to go that way. It is even possible to make cross platform applications with Visual Basic .NET which was not previously possible under Visual Basic 6 and earlier.

 I thought about C#, but I can do the exact same things  without having to
warp my brain around there weird syntax and use of odd  symbols.
End quote

<Smile> Seeing as the C-Style syntax is universally used by several programming languages to our way of thinking Visual Basic syntax looks weird and bloated. Though, as you pointed out this is a personal preference here because C# and Visual Basic applications are exactly the same after they are compiled into a .NET binary. The only difference between C# .NET and Visual Basic .NET is how the code looks.
In C-Style languages you might create an integer variable like
int myVariable = 0;
or create a Visual Basic variable
myVariable As Integer = 0
like this. Either way you like doing it you are going to do the same thing. It just looks different.

I encourage you to take another look at vb .net, lord knows we need all the good accessible developers out there we can get, and in my humble opinion I think java
is going to leave you lacking in the end.
End quote

Yes, I definitely agree. Java is a great language, but I found it wasn't so hot for audio games. For small games it did ok. When I ported Mysteries of the Ancients to Java last year the game ran terrible. I ended up having to abandon it and go back to the original C# source code. So i'd be careful with Java.
HTH.