Hi Charles,
Yes, the Medusa Pro Gamer headsets do give you full 5.1 surround sound. The reason they can do this is because they have multiple speakers built into the headset. Instead of having a single speaker on the left and a single speaker on the right it has something like three speakers on the left and three on the right. This allows your sound card more control over where the sound gets placed in the headset, and it sounds incredable in games like GMA Tank Commander that has 5.1 surround sound support. As far as listening to dvd movies on your computer with these things it is awesome. It really feels like you are sitting in your own personal movie theater. I've hadinstances where I have heard say a photon torpedo fire on one side and can hear it travel around my head until it hits the enemy ship. It is very cool. What more can I say? Anyway, basically all you need to run these things is a USB port if you wish to draw power from your computer and a sound card that is 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound compatible. Usually the high quality sound cards have three jacks for surround sound speakers and head phones. There is a jack for the left, center, and right channels. Just plug your Medusa headset into these jacks and you have 5.1 surround sound support for any games that have 5.1 surround sound. Just a little note. I've found I rather using the A.C. wall power for the headphones as plugging them into the USB port for power sometimes adds a nasty hum or hiss for some reason. When I plug them into a standard power outlet it goes away.
Smile.

Charles Rivard wrote:
They actually do give the surround sound effect? How do movies sound using them? And what is needed to get them to work on a desktop PC using, if it matters, Windows XP Home and a creative Labs Soundblaster Live value card? Thanks.
- - -
A taxpayer voting for a Democrat is like a chicken voting for Colonel Sanders!