Hi Bryan,
You will want to use the parascope when you are between 20 and 40 feet of water. You are two low to use the conning tower for a lookout, and heigh enough that you can use the scope to keep an eye on enemy ships. Typically I tend to travel at 30 feet with the scope up so I can be low enough to evade enemy fire, but be high enough to use my engines for maximum speed/maneuverability.
HTH

Bryan Peterson wrote:
Well now I'm on Mission 4 and trying to figure out all my little gadgets and things. I'm still trying to get the hang of when to use the parrascope for one thing. Last time I ran the mission it was an unqualified disaster.