Hi Dark,
Historically speaking a lot of Greek soldiers carried a short sword called a hoplite. The hoplites carried by military officers were as much a work of art as a weapon as they were often decorated with fancy hilts, golden scabbards, and had all kinds of mythical imagery engraved on them. They were pretty nice weapons although Greek soldiers specialized in spears and shields rather than swords. So I'd say the sword in this game should be a hoplite or something similar.

dark wrote:
As this is an ancient greek temple, any sort of catana would seem very out of place, ----- sinse why would even a Japanese explorer take a Catana into the temple with them?

I'd personally guess the sword would be a gladius, a short one handed weapon later adopted by the romans for both their gladiators (hence the name), and soldiers in the Roman army.

I'm guessing that like the bow and arrow, the sword is a wrelic of the temple, rather than something which was lost by previous unsuccessful explorers like all the fire arms and amo.

Beware the Grue!