Hi Phil,
Yes, that makes perfect sense. As a developer myself i understand your desire to obtain permission from Carl before just handing out his source code and work to someone else. As far as creating a game engine that is "easy to use" I'm finding that is a very difficult task. Part of the problem is that the gamers in our little community range from absolute newby to super power user. When creating a game engine that is to be targeted at this community the engine has to be made to balance the two extremes, and that can't easily be done without dumbing the engine down too much or making it too advanced. Dumb it down too much and then many possible advanced features such as scripting have to be left out, and make it too difficult you will get scripting and other advanced features at the expence of having to educate someone how to use the engine, how to script it, bla, or simply make it too hard for somebody to use. For example, when the Audio Game Maker came out quite a few people found it too difficult to use. However, from a development point of view it was fairly simple. Place an object in the game world, open its properties, set all properties, triggers, and move on to the next object. In my personal view it was too symplistic because I couldn't script the objects to add more functionality or advanced features to them. Together with a lack of advanced features, pore documentation, lack of tech support, etc it was a failior in my book. Unlike the Audio Game Maker the GMA engine seams to be a very well thought out, put together, game engine. It has a lot more advanced features than the Audio Game Maker, and is really one of the best tools for creating accessible games out there right now. However, as nice as it is some people would find it daunting and complicated to use. Although, because of its added complexity it is possible to create games like Shades of Doom, Sarah, Packman Talks, etc with the GMA engine where the same types of games wouldn't be possible with the Audio Game Maker. It was just too symplistic to create anything that complex. For example, with the Audio Game Maker when you created an enemy you basically dropped an enemy object on the game world say at 50 50 and then assigned its sounds, triggers, and other properties. Beyond that you couldn't randomly place the enemy in the world, alter its AI, or anything else you might like to do. You were restricted to the options in its properties menu. With the GMA engine while the developer is somewhat restricted by the engine it is still quite flexable for the average developer. You can certainly have enemies be randomly placed and change the behaviors of the enemies somewhat as needed. Peev's can steel items in Sarah where other ghosts can not. That's a feature you wouldn't have in the Audio Game Maker, but get with the GMA engine. So while the GMA engine is more advanced, perhaps more technical, that is the price of more advanced features and abilities.