Another great hack and slash mud which I play on a semi regular basis Is unofficial squaresoft mud. Its set in the universe of various squaresoft games, and has quests to do if you want them or can figure them out. Its fairly newbie friendly, and I'd love to see more people playing it, as then I'd have people to help out now and then and wouldn't likely get bored grinding so easily. If anyone's interested in checking it out:

uossmud.sandwich.net:9000

Look me up as gordan, but if anyone's thinking of playing, you might want to post on here, as I haven't been playing a lot lately and am not likely to log on unless I spacifically know at least one person is going to try the game out. I'll do what I can to help people out getting started. It's a fun game if you're looking for something beyond the scope of realism, and I notice there're a lot of RPG fans on this list, so I just figured I'd toss this out there given the genre and the call for hack and slash muds. Enjoy.