To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 01, 2009 3:44 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] mota help

Hi Phil,
Yeah, a lot of classic Atari and Nintendo games usually had a colored
key that matched a colored door. Certainly Montezuma's Revenge was that
way. You had white keys for white doors, blue keys for blue doors, and
red keys for red doors. However, as I've decided to stick to a more
modern side-scroller format I'll probably just forget about the color
coding for doors and keys.
As for using something other than keys to unlock and open doors I hear
you there. I've been playing the Tomb Raider games for 12-years, and
I've seen a lot of pretty cool doors/traps. Some are unlocked by pulling
a lever on the wall, others are unlocked with a key, and others are a
type of trap door that you need to pass through by unlocking it in a
special way.
For example, this passed year I've been playing the newest Tomb Raider
game Underworld. In level 3, I think it is, Lara discovers her father
had hidden Thor's gantlets in the family crypts beneath Croft Manner.
Near the end of that level there is  a really cool trap door which I've
been thinking about using in one of my Tomb Hunter games because it is
so cool.
Basically, there is this chamber with a giant wheel on the wall, and a
trap door is hidden in the ceiling of the chamber. You have to walk Lara
Croft over to the wheel, and press the action button on the joystick to
get her to turn the wheel. As she turns the wheel counter clockwise the
trap door slowly slides open above her. Of course, the trick is to get
up there without it closing on Lara. The second you let go of the action
button the wheel starts turning clockwise and the trap door starts
closing. There is this wall nearby with hand holds in it you can climb
up. Problem is by the time you make it about three-quarters up the wall
the trap door is almost closed. The only way I've found to get through
that trap door is to Have her do a jump upwards, grab hold of the ledge,
and then use the vault command to have her vault through the doorway
just before the trap door smashes the world's favorite archaeologist
flat. It is a unique and very cool trap in my opinion.
The Tomb Raider side-scrollers I don't believe they had anything quite
that complex, but they often used levers instead of keys to open various
doors. One door I do remember from Tomb Raider Prophecy you opened it
with a lever, but it was timed. If you didn't run through it in time the
door would drop down and smash Lara Croft beneath it.  However, this
might be too tricky for someone who is blind.
As I recall you could see the door coming down so you could gage weather
or not you could make it below it or not. As that is a purely visual
aspect I'm not exactly sure how I could convey the same information
without using up precious time describing the status of the doors descent.

Smile.

Phil Vlasak wrote:
Hi Thomas,
I am working on a walk through for MOTA for myself but it may help
other people.
I won't post it if you don't want me to.
I think getting all 5 keys is important as there may be weapons in the
locked rooms.
The reason I got confused is that you moved the keys around and I was
remembering an earlier beta.
I still think the locked doors should have the same metal as the key.
So the bronze key unlocks the bronze door.
I remember arcade games doing just this with the yellow key unlocking
the yellow door.
It doesn't have to be all keys and doors as I don't wish you to change
something you already programmed.
thanks,
Phil

list,