You could increase the volume of the loop itself though. Sort of make it louder the longer the file plays.
Thomas Ward wrote:
Hi Kelly,

Hmmm...You have a point there. However, volume wouldn't be a good indicator in this case. Main reason is that volume is determined by DirectX according to the distance you are away from the object. So if a sound is loaded into a DirectX 3D sound buffer the 3d listener handles the volume of the sound, and there is no way to independently control the volume. As Willem said I'd probably have to use pitch instead.

Kellie and my lovable Lady J. wrote:
But wouldn't the guess work be part of the challenge? I mean, in all honesty I don't know how feasible it would be to try that. But, in Jim's baseball game wen the sound is moving from the left to teh right speaker, practice is what helps you succeed. Just like a sighted player has to estimate the gap and if they are wrong? they get hit. I think the idea of it getting louder as it is closing, interesting.
Kellie and my lovable Lady J.
Resident Adviser, Guide Dogs for the Blind Oregon campus
www.guidedogs.com